The afternoon of July 3, I remember one of my colleagues pointing out of the window to a large column of smoke at the opposite side of town. Expecting a wildfire, I drove straight toward the smoke, and discovered a medical helicopter had crashed just moments earlier. The crash resulted in one fatality and two serious injuries, with a post-crash fire consuming three nearby vehicles.
The accident resulted in a combination of breaking news coverage, in-depth research and multimedia coverage. The story is still ongoing, as a complaint has been filed against the manufacturer and operator of the aircraft, with the post-fire crash similar to hundreds of other accidents across the country. While I have written several articles on the crash, I will focus on the most notable updates:
- Breaking report of the crash (updated coverage starting the afternoon of July 3, minutes after the crash).
- Brief update on survivors, federal investigation
- In memory of fallen pilot (video)
- Memorial service
- First responders honored
- Lawsuit against Air Methods, Airbus
- After Frisco crash, Rep. Polis calls for improved helicopter safety (Print PDF)